The Ministry of Defense (MoD) said Monday that the Afghan National Security and Defense Forces (ANDSF) will appear stronger in the coming fighting season as there have been major changes in their abilities and equipment this year.
The ministry said the Afghan security forces conduct more than 10 raids a night nowadays and that through this insurgents have suffered heavy losses through winter.
“Militants do not have the morale they had in the past. We incurred heavy casualties to them during the [last] winter and no province will fall to them anymore,” said MoD spokesman Dawlat Waziri.
Meanwhile, the Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi commended the U.S troops’ role in the fight against Taliban – particularly in air raids against insurgents.
“Their [U.S forces’] role is very crucial [in fight] against the Taliban and there is a need for an increase in U.S troops’ cooperation [with Afghan forces],” Sediqqi said.
Meanwhile, according to the MoD, troops in Helmand, one of the main battlefields, now have access to drones to suppress militants.
“U.S has provided a number of drones to the 205 Maiwand Corps commandants and now they are under our forces’ control,” said Esmatullah Dawlatzai, commander of 505 Zone in Bost.
However, despite these remarks by high-ranking security officials, Mirdad Khan Nijrabi, head of the Wolesi Jirga’s (Lower House of Parliament) internal security commission, said the fact the MoD and NDS are being led by caretakers is a key problem for the country’s security.
He also said Afghan security forces should change their style of fighting against militants.
“We should come out of the defensive status; we should be offensive. The pathology of the last year should be recognized and the armored equipment of the security forces should increase,” he said.
The remarks by senior security officials come after a number of military affairs commentators said there are still some loopholes in the management of security forces.