Afghan President Visits Kabul Blast Victims

Afghanistan’s President Ashraf Ghani visited victims of Kabul’s deadly bomb blast early Friday morning and condemned the attack, which left over 400 civilians injured and eight people dead.

Ghani’s visit came only hours after his return to Afghanistan following successful foot surgery in Germany.

“Unfortunately, we have not seen such an incident here before. I will have a cabinet meeting about the Kabul blast [Friday] and after that I will visit hospitals,” Ghani told TOLOnews while visiting victims.

He went on to say that he has instructed officials to make sure that all health facilities are available to treat all the injured.

“A cabinet session is dedicated today and will be on the investigation into the attack and how to help the victims,” Ghani said adding that on Saturday he would hold a special security meeting on the situation.

“We are committed to peace and such terrorist attacks will not be ignored,” Ghani said in a statement earlier in the day.

This comes after a deadly truck laden with explosives was detonated in the Shah Shaheed area of Kabul city just after 1am local time on Friday. At least eight people were killed and over 400 civilians injured – many of whom were women and children.

Early reports stated the target was an Afghan military facility. However, civilian homes and businesses in the area bore the brunt of the blast, that caused extensive damage to buildings.

Wahidullah Mayar, spokesman for the Ministry of Public Health, confirmed early Friday that eight people had died and over 400 civilians were wounded.

Mayar said all 400 are civilians and most sustained minor injuries from flying glass and other debris.

However, he was unable to say whether the security forces had sustained any casualties. Afghan security forces confirmed that they had recorded injuries among their members but they would not give numbers.

The full impact of Friday’s deadly truck bomb blast in Kabul was clearly evident as daylight broke however.

Scores of homes and buildings were destroyed in the blast, and rubble lay strewn across the streets of Shah Shaheed.

Meanwhile, the NATO-led Resolute Support (RS) mission strongly condemned Friday’s bomb blast in Kabul.

In a statement, the alliance said: “Headquarters Resolute Support strongly condemns an attack occurring early this morning that killed several innocent Afghan civilians and wounded scores more, including many women and children.”

No insurgent group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.

Be the first to comment on "Afghan President Visits Kabul Blast Victims"

Leave a comment