The Chief of Army Staff, General Qadam Shah Shahim, on Wednesday said the Taliban’s spring offensive announcement is nothing but propaganda that is supported by a number of foreign countries.
Shahim has assured the people of Afghanistan that the Taliban’s operations will fail and no strategic region of the country will fall to the insurgent group.
“Maybe in the current year we will witness some insecurities in some parts but there will be no collapse, because we have taken special measures in vulnerable areas,” Shahim said.
Meanwhile, on Sunday the Afghan government also discussed its five-year war strategy and defined the term enemy.
It is hoped that with the implementation of the war strategy, security in the county will improve.
“Our five-year strategy is only for the security of Afghanistan, construction of Afghanistan, good governance of Afghanistan and for long lasting peace in Afghanistan,” Shahim added.
But the Afghan National Unity Government (NUG) has once again called on insurgent groups to join the peace process.
“The Afghanistan government asks armed opposition groups to come to the peace talks table and for the International Community to also support the government in its stance,” said Dawa Khan Menapal, President Ashraf Ghani’s deputy spokesman.
Analysts have said the lack of coordination on a ground level during operations and the inability to manage war on a higher level have been key problems.
“Our government thinks more about second class functions, less about security and peace which are the main issues,” said Attiqullah Amarkhail a military analyst.
The collapse of Kunduz city last year and efforts by insurgents to take control of Pul-e-Khumri and Lashkargah cities shocked Afghanistan but security officials have said that in this coming war season, saving of strategic parts of Afghanistan are their main priorities.