By mid-morning Tuesday Crisis Response Unit (CRU) members had gunned down all insurgents that had been holed up in a building near CARE’s office building in Shar-e-Naw overnight.
In addition 42 people were rescued, including 10 foreigners, from houses in the immediate vicinity of the NGO’s building.
Government officials said on Tuesday that CARE had come under attack. However, the NGO said in a statement that the attack was on a nearby government building but that their building had sustained extensive damage.
Ministry of Interior spokesman Sediq Sediqqi meanwhile, confirmed that the gunmen had been killed. According to him there had been three in total.
Insurgents launched their attack at 11pm on Monday night.
The attack started with a car bomb that ripped through the city. Gunmen then reportedly stormed a building.
Police confirmed that only insurgents were killed in the attack but that six people were wounded.
Roads into the city had been closed to all traffic until mid-day Tuesday.
The bombing was the third on Monday in Kabul and followed the earlier attack on the ministry of defense in Murad Khani area in Kabul city.
This attack claimed the lives of at least 35 people and wounded over 90.
An initial explosive device was detonated at the gate of the ministry. Once first responders had arrived at the scene, a suicide bomber then detonated his explosives.
Among the dead were a number of high-ranking police and military officials including the police chief and deputy for PD2.
To watch the footage, click here: