Death Toll Climbs to 29 in Kunduz Suicide Attack

blast Afghanistan

Officials have confirmed that the death toll from Saturday’s deadly car bomb attack in Kunduz has climbed to 29, including two children.

The attack occurred on Saturday night in the Khan Abad district where locals had gathered to discuss the deteriorating security situation.

Among the dead were civilians and local policemen as well as a key local Jihadi leader, Qadeer.

According to officials at least 19 others were injured. Of this 15 were civilians. Among the dead were 4 civilians and two children.

According to head of Provincial Council, Mohammad Yousuf Ayoubi : “They had gathered at a fuel pump station on Saturday night and a suicide bomber detonated his explosives near the station.”

“Civilians are also among the dead,” he added.

However, security officials have not yet commented.

No group including the Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack.

This year, the insurgents have increased their activities in the province and frequently attack the local security forces posts.

Currently insurgents have taken control of most parts of, Chahardara, Dasht-e-Archi, Ali Abad, Qala-e-Zal, Khan Abad and Imam Sahib districts of the province and are engaged in ongoing clashes with the security forces.

But the Afghan National Security Forces on Sunday launched a large-scale military operation to clear insurgents from the area and to retake control of captured districts.

According to government officials, ANSF land forces, assisted by air support, have surrounded the Dasht-e-Archi district and plan to clear the area of insurgents by the end of the day.

Officials said that so far four insurgents have been killed in the operation.

Meanwhile, officials reported on Saturday that hundreds of residents in northern Kunduz had fled the area after the Taliban launched coordinated attacks and seized at least 10 villages.

Two civilians were killed and eight others injured as a result of Taliban attack that broke out on Friday night, local officials told TOLOnews.

“Hundreds of families have fled their homes due to attacks,” Ayoubi said, complaining of what he said was a lack of coordination between the security forces. “The insurgents have seized 10 villages.”

The local security authorities, however, have not yet commented on the issue. This came after the provincial governor, Mohammad Omar Safi, announced a massive anti-insurgent operation would be launched soon in Kunduz.

 

Be the first to comment on "Death Toll Climbs to 29 in Kunduz Suicide Attack"

Leave a comment