Police confirmed a minibus carrying 11 foreign tourists came under attack by unknown gunmen on Thursday morning in Herat province.
Four people were wounded in the attack.
Ministry of Interior spokesman Sediq Sediqqi said police had been escorting the tourists when their convoy was ambushed by the Taliban in Chasht-e-Sharif district, about 150 kms from Herat city.
He said the tourists had been on their way from Bamiyan to Herat, via Ghor, when the incident took place.
Sediqqi said four people were slightly wounded in the attack.
The nationalities of the tourists was not immediately known. Early reports indicated that the tourists were on their way to visit historical monuments in Herat city.