MPs Blast Govt Over Kunduz War Strategy

war-22

Kunduz MPs and members of the provincial council on Friday blasted government for not keeping its promises made late last year after the fall of the city to the Taliban.

They said that government pledged to clear Kunduz of insurgents, but did not do so. According to them, this caused a vacuum and paved the way for the Taliban to reintegrate into the strategic town.

Meanwhile, security officials in Kunduz have said that security forces have recaptured several areas that collapsed to the Taliban this week, reiterating that security forces were powerful enough to thwart Taliban attacks.

In the wake of recent attacks by the Taliban on Kunduz’s Dasht-e-Archi and Qala Zal districts, a number of lawmakers in parliament on Thursday blasted the political leadership for what they called a lack of strong commitment within government to eliminate the Taliban and curb their advance on strategic locations.

They said government leaders have failed to deliver on their promises to carry out comprehensive reforms to heal the scars the people of Kunduz suffered following the Taliban’s takeover of the strategic town last year.

Back in September, the Taliban managed to seize control of Kunduz city for a few days – the first time the militant group seized a major city since 2001 when it was driven from power by the U.S.-led invasion.

“The deceptive policies of the central government has led to the miseries of the people of Kunduz,” said Mohammad Yousaf Ayoubi, head of Kunduz provincial council.

It is said that insurgency in Kunduz directly impacts other northern and northeastern provinces of Takhar, Baghlan, Badakhshan and Balkh.

Political analysts say that threats in Kunduz and Takhar provinces have a direct impact on northern areas.

“Giving time to the enemy and delaying the operation for recapture of the areas will help the enemy to mobilize again, fallen areas must be taken back,” said senator Abdullah Qarloq.

Amid the outcry, security officials in Kunduz have said that the security forces were well prepared and able to recapture the areas that had collapsed to the militants in Takhar and Kunduz provinces.

“We have received air and ground support, possibly we will recapture the fallen areas within one or two days,” said Mohmand Katawazi, the commander of 209 Shaheen Army Corps.

Last September, the Taliban militants carried out a coordinated attack on Kunduz city and managed to seize control for a few days – the first time the militant group has seized a major city since 2001 when it was driven from power by the U.S.-led invasion.

This week’s clashes have resulted in casualties for both sides.

“Casualties among the enemy is around 40 fighters, their wounded colleagues were left behind on the battlefields, one security personnel was martyred and four others were wounded,” MoD spokesman Dawlat Waziri said.

Be the first to comment on "MPs Blast Govt Over Kunduz War Strategy"

Leave a comment