Bereaved families of those killed in Tuesday’s deadly car bomb called on government Wednesday to step up efforts to stop such attacks.
The blast occurred on Tuesday near the Qazi Plaza on the airport road when a suicide car bomber, targeting a NATO-convoy, detonated his explosives.
Afghan officials on Tuesday said one person had died in the deadly suicide car bombing near the Qazi Plaza on the airport road but people in the area say the death toll was much higher – some putting it as high as 10.
Head of Wazir Akbar Khan Hospital Noor Agha Akramzada told TOLOnews on Wednesday that the hospital admitted 23 patients who had been wounded in the attack – including two women and two children.
Locals say numerous people died, including a student who died of heart failure when the explosion occurred.
Two separate families who lost relatives in the attack spoke out on Wednesday and said they are tired of such incidents. They called on government to step up efforts to fight insurgents.
The Sher family – who lost the head of their family – were among those who spoke out about the security.
Sher, the family’s breadwinner, was one of the victims of the blast. His distraught wife told TOLOnews that the family’s livelihood had depended entirely on her husband, who had supported her and their eight children.
“What will I do with my daughters and sons? They are small and cannot work. We have nothing,” she said with tears streaming down her face.
Sher’s daughters were as distraught and said the family had been left destitute. “My brothers are so young to work. Our father was everything to us,” one of the daughter’s said.
“We want the president to prevent such attacks by insurgents, or else he should resign,” they said.
Khaki Shah lost his 13-year-old son, Faisal, in Tuesday’s attack. Shah, who lives near Sher’s house, said Faisal was a Sixth Grade student and that he lost his mother this time last year.
“I raised my son in a very miserable situation. It was a struggle. But the sound of the explosion stopped his heart from beating. My salary is only Afs5,000 a month and the mother of my children died last Ramazan,” said Shah.
The increase in civilian deaths this fighting season has become a major cause for concern. Last month the United Nations reported that almost 1,000 civilians were killed in the Afghan conflict in the first four months of the year, while 1,989 were injured.
Mark Bowden, the UN Secretary-General’s Deputy Special Representative for Afghanistan, said at the time that “as of 30 April, 1,989 Afghans were injured as a result of the conflict and 978 Afghan civilians killed, throughout the country”.
He said the number of wounded at the Emergency Hospital in Kabul illustrates the devastating impact of the conflict. “The doctors there told me that they are seeing a 50 per cent increase in the number of civilians injured this year compared to the same period last year.”