Paris Standoff Over, 2 Dead and Seven Arrested

French police said Wednesday the assault against suspected Daesh members holed up in an apartment in northern Paris is over, leaving two suspected militants dead and seven arrested.

Police sources said they were still working to secure the suburb of Saint-Denis after the six-hour raid, part of a manhunt for those linked to a devastating string of attacks on Paris late on Friday which left 129 dead.

At least seven explosions were however heard earlier in the day at the scene of the police standoff with suspects.

Associated Press reporters at the scene said they could hear what sounded like grenade blasts from the direction of the standoff in the heart of the Paris suburb.

AP reports the source of the blasts is unclear.

Several police were injured in the operation that lasted over six hours.

AFP meanwhile reported that shooting broke out in northern Paris during a dawn raid by police hunting those behind the attacks that claimed 129 lives in the French capital five days ago.

The area is home to the Stade de France, one of several places hit by gunmen and suicide bombers on Friday in the worst ever attack on French soil, which was claimed by the Islamic State jihadist group.

Firemen told AFP they joined the operation against “an armed group holed up in an apartment” at 04:31 am, without giving any further details, adding that one person was lightly hurt.

The area was closed down and intermittent gunfire and explosions could still be heard three hours after it started.

Another source said a special armed response unit took part in the raid, which comes as Europe was on high alert after footage from the scene of one of Friday’s attacks revealed a ninth suspect may have taken part.

French President Francois Hollande on Wednesday will hold a meeting to discuss proposals to extend by three months the state of emergency declared after the worst attacks in French history. It will then be put to vote by lawmakers Thursday and Friday.

In a sign of the nervousness gripping Europe after Friday’s carnage, a football match between Germany and the Netherlands was cancelled Tuesday and the crowd evacuated after police acted on a “serious” bomb threat.

As police stepped up the hunt for the fugitives, French and Russian jets pounded Daesh targets in the group’s Syrian stronghold of Raqa for a third consecutive day.

France and Russia have vowed merciless retaliation for the Paris attacks and last month’s bombing of a Russian airliner, also claimed by the Daesh group, which have galvanised international resolve to destroy the jihadists and end Syria’s more than four-year civil war.

Be the first to comment on "Paris Standoff Over, 2 Dead and Seven Arrested"

Leave a comment