Quetta Bombing Death Toll Rises To 40, Dozens Injured

Pakistan-blast-08-August-2016

Pakistani police have confirmed that at least 40 people have died in a bomb explosion at the main gate of a government-run hospital in Quetta.

According to AP, police official Afzal Khan said dozens were also wounded in Monday’s blast, which took place shortly after the body of Balochistan Bar Association’s President Bilal Kasi, who had been gunned down earlier in the day, was brought to the hospital.

Khan said dozens of lawyers and journalists were present inside the hospital when the bomb went off.

Pakistani media reports that police said unknown gunmen also opened fire after the blast. Panic tore through the hospital after the incident.

The blast occurred near the emergency department of the hospital.

Lawyers and journalists had gathered at the emergency department where Kasi’s body was brought, when the explosion occurred. Most of the injured are lawyers, eye witnesses said.

An Aaj News cameraman was killed in the attack while a Dawn News cameraman was severely injured in the attack.

No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.

Anwalullah Kakar, the government spokesman in southwestern Baluchistan province, says an investigation is underway.

It was also unknown who was behind the killing of the lawyer, Bilal Kasi, who was gunned down on his way to court earlier in the day.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif condemned the attack and said: “No one will be allowed to disrupt the peace of the province,” the prime minister said.

He added that security forces had laid down their lives to establish peace in the province. He instructed the provincial government to give the best medical treatment to the injured.

The Supreme Court Bar Association announced a week-long mourning over the attack. Lawyer in the Lahore High Court announced a protest demonstration today condemning the attack.

Be the first to comment on "Quetta Bombing Death Toll Rises To 40, Dozens Injured"

Leave a comment