Sep Security Report Sees Sharp Increase in Civilian Casualties

kabul-suicide-attack-16-september-2014

TOLOnews’ security report for September shows a sharp increase in civilian casualties in Afghanistan against last month amid a slight decrease in the number of incidents.

The reports states 1,061 insecurity and insurgent events occurred throughout the country last month against August’s figure of 1,089.

The study found that more than 4,300 people in total were killed in September. This includes 246 civilians, including women and children – this against August’s toll of 196 civilians. 

In addition, 478 civilians were injured. 

Of the 4,300 people killed, 349 were security force members – 137 were police officers and 210 were soldiers. In August the security force death toll was 396. 

A further 159 security force members were injured.

Insurgents however made up the bulk of the casualty toll, with 3,760 being killed – 2,050 were injured and 168 were detained. 

According to the report, security forces launched 672 operations countrywide, while insurgents launched 118 attacks.

Uruzgan province topped the list with the highest number of incidents but Kunduz experienced the deadliest attack in the last week of the month. 

After Uruzgan, Kandahar, Nangarhar, Ghazni and Helmand are the five most insecure provinces respectively.  

However, Faryab, which was the most insecure province in August is now ranked number 10 – in terms of insecurity. 

But Kunduz saw the deadliest and most unexpected attack that was launched by the Taliban on September 28 – an attack that is still continuing. 

“Kunduz was captured by the terrorists and the people of Kunduz were extremely worried and they faced extensive damages,” Deputy Army Chief Gen Murad Ali Murad said.

This has so far caused an unknown number of casualties, thousands to flee their home and huge losses to residents. 

Furthermore, September saw 10 drone attacks and five airstrikes being launched against insurgents. 

This study found that 175 people were also abducted by insurgents and unknown gunmen during September.

September Security Report Sees Sharp Increase in Civilian Casualties

TOLOnews’ security report for September shows a sharp increase in civilian casualties in Afghanistan against last month amid a slight decrease in the number of incidents.

The reports states 1,061 insecurity and insurgent events occurred throughout the country last month against August’s figure of 1,089.

The study found that more than 4,300 people in total were killed in September. This includes 246 civilians, including women and children – this against August’s toll of 196 civilians.

In addition, 478 civilians were injured.

Of the 4,300 people killed, 349 were security force members – 137 were police officers and 210 were soldiers. In August the security force death toll was 396.

A further 159 security force members were injured.

Insurgents however made up the bulk of the casualty toll, with 3,760 being killed – 2,050 were injured and 168 were detained.

According to the report, security forces launched 672 operations countrywide, while insurgents launched 118 attacks.

Uruzgan province topped the list with the highest number of incidents but Kunduz experienced the deadliest attack in the last week of the month.

After Uruzgan, Kandahar, Nangarhar, Ghazni and Helmand are the five most insecure provinces respectively. 

However, Faryab, which was the most insecure province in August is now ranked number 10 – in terms of insecurity.

But Kunduz saw the deadliest and most unexpected attack that was launched by the Taliban on September 28 – an attack that is still continuing.

“Kunduz was captured by the terrorists and the people of Kunduz were extremely worried and they faced extensive damages,” Deputy Army Chief Gen Murad Ali Murad said.

This has so far caused an unknown number of casualties, thousands to flee their home and huge losses to residents.

Furthermore, September saw 10 drone attacks and five airstrikes being launched against insurgents.

This study found that 175 people were also abducted by insurgents and unknown gunmen during September.

Be the first to comment on "Sep Security Report Sees Sharp Increase in Civilian Casualties"

Leave a comment