Taliban Retreat From Farah City After Airstrikes: Officials

Taliban insurgents who have been in ongoing clashes with security forces in Farah city for almost a week have reportedly retreated following air strikes against them by the Afghan Air Force.

According to local officials 27 Talibs were killed in the airstrikes on Sunday.

Ibal Bayer, a spokesman for the provincial police, said that “the insurgents came under attack from four different directions and then the air force also attacked them, killing 27”.

He said one policeman was injured on Sunday night during the clash.

In the meantime, Raz Mohammad Oryakhil, a military commander from 207 Zafar Military Corps believes that “Farah city will not collapse now and the insurgents retreated after the Afghan air force conducted air operations on Sunday night.”

Oryakhil said more troops have arrived from Herat, Badghis and Kabul provinces and “soon a large-scale military clearance operation will be launched in Farah”.

However, clashes are ongoing he said.

He said the Taliban suffered heavy casualties on Sunday night and “most of their casualties are because of air strikes.”

However, reports suggest that businesses and shops are still closed and residents are concerned about the situation.

The Taliban launched a coordinated attack on the outskirts of Farah city last week, which has since resulted in the displacement of hundreds of local residents.

Be the first to comment on "Taliban Retreat From Farah City After Airstrikes: Officials"

Leave a comment