The Taliban insurgents have reportedly seized control of as many as 60 villages over the past two days in northwestern Faryab porvince, the local officials said on Tuesday.
In addition, 3,000 families have also been displaced from their homes, said Sayed Abdul Baqi Hashemi, head of Provincial Council.
“Taliban attacks accompanied with support of foreign militants have led to collapse of 60 villages in Qaisar, Almar and Pashtunkot districts in the province,” Hashemi said.
He warned if the government didn’t support the displaced families he said had been surrounded by the insurgents, there would be a huge human tragedy.
Hashemi also pointed out government’s lack of support for the residents that have risen against the Taliban in the area.
Confirming the collapse of villages, the acting provincial governor Abdul Satar Barez said the incident happened after the Afghan forces tactically moved back.
A number of key districts fell into the Taliban hands over the past few months, though they were retaken by the forces.